Using ScarletMail with OUTLOOK for IMAP
To set up your Outlook client to work with ScarletMail:
- You will need the following information:
- Your ScarletMail email address
- Your Google Apps Mobile Password. This is different than your Rutgers NetID password. The Google Apps Mobile Password will ONLY be used for accessing ScarletMail from a program like Thunderbird, Outlook, or mobile device. If you do not remember your Mobile Password you can change it by going to the NetID Management and Services Activation Page and clicking on the link Manage Your ScarletApps Mobile/IMAP/POP Password. You will be asked to log in with your Rutgers NetID and password and then you will be given the option to set your ScarletApps password.
- Enable IMAP in ScarletMail.
- Sign into ScarletMail.
- Click the Settings link in the upper-right and select Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP and click Save Changes.
- Open Outlook. Select Tools and click Account Settings.
- Click New to create a new email account.
- By default Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP is selected. Click Next.
- Check Manually configure server settings or additional server types in the lower left, then click Next.
- By default Internet Email is selected. Click Next.
- Enter the following information:
- Your Name:
name as you would like it to appear in the From line of the outgoing
Email Address: Enter your full email address (email@example.com).
- Account Type: IMAP
Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- User Name:
full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: Enter your Scarletmail password.
- Remember Password: This is unchecked by default. If you want Outlook to remember your password, click the Remember Password box.
- Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Make sure this box is checked.
- Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Click the Advanced tab. Under Incoming server (IMAP), select SSL from the drop down box next to Use the following type of encrypted connection. Also, enter 993 in the Incoming server (IMAP) box.
- Under Outgoing server (SMTP), select SSL from the drop down box next to Use the following type of encrypted connection and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
- Click OK.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.